Vaulting is the art of gymnastics and dance on horseback. Don’t worry, you don’t have to be a gymnast or dancer to do it! All exercises can be tailored so that any person of any ability can do them. The exercises will improve confidence, flexibility and balance on the horse, and will improve all riders. It’s great fun, and is useful for any rider, whether you want to move on into vaulting competition, or trick riding or not.
The vaulting section of the course will include learning all the basic compulsory moves of vaulting both on the stationary vaulting horse, and the live horse. Vaulting is an international sport, but Eclipse is one of the first facilities in Ireland to offer it!
2016 Dates- 14th - 21st of August
Topics and practical demonstrations will include:
Understanding Horse Behaviour
- Understanding the horse in general
- Understanding the mental and physical needs of horses
- Reading the horse’s body language
- Human body awareness and body positioning and how it affects horse behaviour
- Understanding and maintaining clear and consistent behaviour and needed boundaries
- Having the horse comfortable in our presence
- What are we looking for in order to develop a good partnership with a horse
- What we need to know about ourselves in order to use in our communication with horses
- How humans learn and how horses learn; the differences and similarities
- How to have a happy, physically and mentally content horse
- The role of reward and incentive
- Teaching the horse to yield from steady pressure and move the individual parts of his body
- Understanding and learning how to apply steady pressure, its timing and release to develop the following yields:
- Moving backwards
- Moving forwards
- Moving the hindquarters.
- Moving the forequarters
- “In hand” work on the ground
- Rider position and how it affects the horse
- Exercises in body awareness for riding
- Practical sessions
- Saddling and bridling
- Mounting-how to mount and dismount safely, while protecting your horse’s back.
- The connected rider: learning to stay in balance with the horse.
- Moving the horse with intent/body energy.
- Turning the horse with the body.
And so much more… with fun and practical demonstrations and participation in rider improvement exercises including Vaulting.
Price for the course will be all inclusive. Accommodation, 3 delicious meals per day plus snacks and gear. We can arrange to pick up and deliver participants from airports, bus, or train stations. Camp day will be 9am to 5pm, with evenings to study or relax getting to know each other; outdoor fun , indoor board and card games, TV, and so on.
For more information on attending these courses, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring us at 064 668 2965